Friday, September 28, 2007

Kerala Banana Pulisseri

Nendhrapazha Pulisseri

Pulisseri is a famous Kerala dish. Here I have made the Pulisseri using ripe Kerala Bananas called Nendhrapazham or Ethapazham. It is a sweet and sour dish and is so yummy!

This is my entry for JFI hosted by Mandira.

What you need:

Ripe Kerala Bananas -2
Chilli powder -1\4 tsp
Turmeric powder -1\4 tsp
Water -2 cups
Grated coconut -1\2 cup
Green chillies -4
Cumin seeds -1\8 tsp
Turmeric powder -1\4 tsp
Curd -1 cup
Salt - to taste

For seasoning:

Oil -1 tbsp
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Curry leaves -1 sprig
Dry red chillies -2 (seeds removed)

Method:

Remove the skin and cut the bananas into halves. Slice them into 1" pieces. Cook them with water, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Grind the coconut, green chillies, turmeric powder and cumin seeds to a fine paste. Add this paste to the cooked bananas. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes. Then add beaten curd and mix well. Keep stirring till it boils. Put off the fire. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the curry leaves and dry red chillies. Pour this over the curry and mix well. Serve with steamed rice and pickle.


20 comments:

Finla said...

Lissie this pullisery looks DELICIOUS. Justgive me a plate full of simple rice with it and i will clean it all in minutes :-))

Padmaja said...

I have so many keralites as friends and i always ask them to make this for me bu i remember them making with raw banana!!
Yours looks so delightful!!! yummy!!

Padma said...

Banana puliseri looks great Lissie!

FH said...

I made Erissery with Cauliflower once!:D
Looks delicious Lissie!:))

Lissie said...

thank you asha, padma, padmaja and happy cook for visiting!

Unknown said...

Looks yummy too never made any dish with banannas, will try your recipe sometimes.

Sharmi said...

will any other bananas work? should it be too ripe of can be more on the raw side? looks awesome.

Mansi said...

wow, I never knew you could make a curry/dal kind from bananas?? doe sit taste sweet?? look intereting Lissie:)

btw, thanks for adding me to your blogroll! could you edit my name to "Mansi" instead of "Manasi" please:)?

Rina said...

Wow, yet another cuuried Banana recipe.

Richa said...

hey, that looks so creamy!
would like to try it sometime :)

Lissie said...

thank you richa, rina and madhu for visiting!
sharmi, we make this curry with ripe Kerala bananas. it should not be too ripe or raw. the green variety or the small plantains won't work. thanks!
mansi, it is a sweet and sour dish. i have made the changes in your name.thank you!

Vijiram said...

Lissie,

Banana pulisseri something new to me. Looks delicious. Let me try.
I liked your non-veg recipes a lot. Especially mathi curry :-)

Bharathy said...

Gotcha!!!I was hunting for this recipe..THANX!!!!:)

Chef Jeena said...

Lissie I have neevr seen bananas cooked in this way before, it looks fantastic. I bet it was real yummy. :)

Cynthia said...

You have a nice and tasty looking dish there.

Seena said...

I don't want anything with this curry..will take this alone..:)

mb said...

Lissie, this looks great! I'm so glad that you are participating with this great entry :) - Mandira

Manju said...

oohh..we amke a similar dish with jaggery as well...so its kinda sweeter n call it pachadi..i soo love that..mom always have to make extra just for me.. :)

remya said...

wow!!! thats a nice dish lissie...i love all types of pulisseri...i havent tasted this one yet.....looks delicious..

Prajusha said...

wow!banana pulisseri looks yummy.beautiful pic.